Darxus on Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:21:11 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Plea for help - Strange Communications Protocol

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Charles Stack wrote:

> Hopefully, someone here will be able to help me.
>
> I've got to connect to an AIX-based system using a modem.  The existing
> software dials directly into the remote computer and does not appear to be
> IP based (hence no PPP).
>
> I can dial in, and using V100 or ASCII emulation, I can log into the system.
> At that point, things get squirrly.  The data appears to be field oriented.
> Color attributes are sent (as is placement info), but as I enter data and
> leave each field, it is validate by the remote computer.  Oh yeah, the
> client software is also from IBM.
>
> The people who are running the system haven't a clue as to what protocol is
> being used (they just use it).  I have a 3270 emulator, but without an LU or
> IP address, it isn't doing me much good.
>
> I realize that the information I have given is rather vague.  But, is anyone
> familiar with this protocol and can tell me where I can get a decent
> Linux-based emulator for it (with source)?

Emulator for what ?
What protocol ?

And most importantly, what is it that you're trying to do that you can't ?
I reread this post a couple times to make sure.. you never actually
clearly stated it.  And there's something wrong with the 3rd to last
sentence in the 2nd paragraph, which is not helping me understand.

If you're trying to get terminal emulation that will work... look in
/etc/termcap or /etc/terminfo.  I'm guessing when you mentioned "V100" you
meant "VT100", and I would guess that there is support for it in your
/etc/termcap or /etc/terminfo, so I'm not exactly sure why it isn't
working... perhaps bad emulation.

Maybe the AIX box isn't noticing what kind of emulation you're using... it
should be detected by the program that accepts the dialin connection.

do..

 echo $TERM

What does it say ?  That's the terminal emulation type it's set to use.
You should be able to set $TERM to "vt100" and use vt100 successfully.

In bash/sh/etc:

 export TERM="vt100"

In tcsh/csh/etc:

 setenv TERM vt100

To do this more permanently you're going to have to add the command to
some script somewhere, but tell me what happens w/ this stuff.

             Find the next largest prime, be famous:
                http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
                      "There is no spoon."