root on Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:29:53 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Plea for help - Strange Communications Protocol

Darxus wrote:

> Emulator for what ?
> What protocol ?

I haven't a clue.  The machine is running AIX.  None of my terminal emulators
seem to work properly with it (ANSI, V100, etc).  I am thinking it's either 3270
of 5250...but that doesn't necesarrily jive because I can read the data and it
appears, in most cases, to be going to where I expected it to be on the screen
repleat with colors, column positioning, etc.  I just see extra characters that
seem to be indicating some type of field structure....but I'm not sure.

It was hoped that somebody would recognize the protocol and be able to provide
assistance.

> If you're trying to get terminal emulation that will work... look in
> /etc/termcap or /etc/terminfo.  I'm guessing when you mentioned "V100" you
> meant "VT100", and I would guess that there is support for it in your
> /etc/termcap or /etc/terminfo, so I'm not exactly sure why it isn't
> working... perhaps bad emulation.

There is nothing wrong my emulators, they work fine on everything else I've ever
logged into. And, yes V100 was a typo.  This protocol is not something I have
seen before.  Heck,  it may be application specific (a DOS based client from IBM
was supplied).  But, again, I'm not sure.

> Maybe the AIX box isn't noticing what kind of emulation you're using... it
> should be detected by the program that accepts the dialin connection.
>
> do..
>
>  echo $TERM
>
> What does it say ?  That's the terminal emulation type it's set to use.
> You should be able to set $TERM to "vt100" and use vt100 successfully.

I don't think the remote machine will actualy let me enter this command.  I am
given prompts and it doesn't seem that I am allowed to enter my own commands.
What is confusing me the most is that it seems form driven yet still appears like
an ANSI terminal.

Charles