Darxus on Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:08:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Plea for help - Strange Communications Protocol

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, root wrote:

> > Maybe the AIX box isn't noticing what kind of emulation you're using... it
> > should be detected by the program that accepts the dialin connection.
> >
> > do..
> >
> >  echo $TERM
> >
> > What does it say ?  That's the terminal emulation type it's set to use.
> > You should be able to set $TERM to "vt100" and use vt100 successfully.
>
> I don't think the remote machine will actualy let me enter this command.  I am
> given prompts and it doesn't seem that I am allowed to enter my own commands.
> What is confusing me the most is that it seems form driven yet still appears like
> an ANSI terminal.

So you're dialing into this unix box & it's giving you some kind of menu
system ?  That's not all that usual.  Get out of it, then use those
commands.  There should be some option somewhere to let you get out of it.
Or you could try hitting ctrl-c.  Actually, I'd expect a prompt right
after the login to specify the terminal type (vt100, which is, by the way,
very common for a unix box).

                      "There is no spoon."