Vettese, Nick A on Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:55:40 -0500 (EST)

RE: [Plug] what do people want out of plug talks

As I am sitting here listening.  I read earlier that you wanted to create
more meetings in the month.  why don't you create two meetings a month:  One
for beginners, and one for more advanced.  This way you can get in
everything you want and you don't have an overwhelming amount of people at
each meeting.
Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Engineer(2) [mailto:Engineer2@casbensalem.com]
Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 11:41 AM
To: 'plug@lists.nothinbut.net'
Subject: FW: [Plug] what do people want out of plug talks

> People who are totally unfamiliar with the subject:
> I think these people want "look this is easy, this is all you have to do,
> and this is why you want to do it".

That would be me. :)

> People who have some familiarity with the subject:
> For these people, I think the goal should be to get them to realize
> something new that they were unaware of, and make them want to try it.
>
> So basically, I think you want to get people interested in the subject
> enough that they will then go read the fucking manual themselves, and
> start learning on their own (or learn more about new aspects of the
> subject on their own).

Absolutely, and I think the talks accomplish this, in my short (5-6 months)
experience with them.

> So.. what do you guys think ?

I think the talks are outstanding, and the Q & A very helpful. I hope to be
smart enough to give my own talk someday :)

As for the F*** YOU: I think Mr. Joseph Catania should not post to this list
again, and should not attend meetings. This vitriol appears to be his only
post; it is unwelcome, unhelpful, and insulting to a very good group of
professional people. I am the lowlyest of novices, and even I know what RTFM
means. If one takes issue with the jargon, there is a proper way to express
this. If you can't do that, then get out of the kitchen already. A technical
help group is not the place for flames.

-Eric