M. Simons on Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:53:17 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] MSIE for UNIX/other client that can do SPA

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Bill Jonas wrote:
> MS has Internet Explorer for Solaris and HP/UX for download at their web
> site.
>Anybody know of these working with Linux?  You see, I signed my soul

Yes, I noticed a 'for unix' selection when I went to download my recent
version of IE5 for my (gasp, choke) Windows box.  I don't know if it works
under linux, but, I doubt it.  Even with the attitude towards Microsoft in
the community, I would assume that if there was a way to get it to work,
someone would have done so and spread the news already.  Now, why
Microsoft doesn't port it themselves, I don't know. It would be a wise
move, oh, wait.. that is why they haven't done it yet.  8)

> away for $400 off my computer (hey, what can I say, I'm poor).  Actually, it
> was just a 3-year contract with MSN.

ACK! PHHT! NO! NO! Return it ! Return it!  See, you didn't just get $400
off your computer, NO! You paid the same price for it, and $100 a year for
internet access! (at approx $20 a month, 12 months a year, 3 years the
access costs approx $720)

> I've tried using Communicator under Windows (I can't replace the
> winmodem for a bit yet due to money concerns),
> but it failed.

There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to use Netscape.. although
it would both be an incredibly smart move and an incredibly dumb move on
their part to make it so that you can't use Netscape on MSN.  Just what
'failed'?  [okay, so this discussion is really off-topic for the list.]

> I did a little snooping and noticed that Outlook Express has
> an option for Secure Password Authentication, which I'm assuming is a
> proprietary (! -- geez, big surprise there) protocol for authenticating
> yourself to the SMTP server.

Well I'm not too familiar with this, but I don't think that this is any
sort of proprietary protocol.  I would guess you could use Eudora, or any
other SMTP mail agent.

> When I can finally replace my softmodem with
> a, uh, "hard" modem, I'd like to begin divorcing myself of Windows as
> quickly as possible, which is going to be quite difficult if I have to do
> email and Internet from Windows.

Now here for the good news:  I seriously doubt that you are limited to
windows when using MSN -- what about their mac subscribers, etc? MSN is
only an ISP. They want your money, pure and simple, and you could probably
connect with just about anything.   What you need to look into is the
login... what authentication protocol they use, etc.. (CHAP, PAP, etc..)

Now, it WILL most likely work, however, they most likely won't support it
(answer questions on the tech support hotline, etc).  All you have to do
now is figure out your connection details, and get yourself that
hard-modem.