Bill Jonas on Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:31:32 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] what do people want out of plug talks

> I know this will make me sound like an old windbag, but I too object to
the
> language used occasionally on this forum. This has nothing to do with
flames,
> and everything to do with being able to control yourself in everyday
society.
> If you can't do that you shouldn't be hanging out with the rest of us,
which
> includes some younger teenagers and possibly some who take their religion
> seriously. If this kind of language is the only way some people can
> communicate, they need to learn a lot more than Linux.

I know that this will make me sound like a young windbag, but Plug to me is
more like shooting the shi^H^H^Hbreeze around the water cooler or being at
the pub after work with the Bobs or BOFHs (do a web search) that you work
with, whatever the case may be, than being a group of computing
professionals.  We never promised, as the other gentleman wished, that we
are a group of computer professionals (although some are and some aspire to
be).  This is Philadelphia Linux *User's* Group, not Philadelphia Computer
*Professional's* Group.  I've seen no official charter; even if this were
strictly a forum for computer professionals, everybody lets their hair down
from time to time.  (Ever read Usenet's alt.sysadmin.recovery or
alt.tech-support.recovery (Or is it alt.recovery.tech-support?  My news
server quit carrying it.)?)  As I'm sure you're already aware, you can try
grepping the kernel source for your expletive of choice (hint: Common ones
work better  :) ).  In fact, a major software company's corporate attitude
is quite worse and more to the point than our attitude sometimes is.  Try
doing a web search for FYIFV.

I'm not saying that that justifies anything if we have the same attitude.
It's a fact of life, though, that many Linux people have a somewhat (?)
elitist attitude.  (Just hang out in #Linux on UnderNet.)  Not that anybody
here does -- I think that everyone's been very kind and helpful.

I don't know what I'm trying to say; I feel as though I'm rambling (which
probably means that I am).

I guess the point of all this is that I'll try to keep in mind *all* members
of the audience, and to tone things down a bit.  But frankly, somebody who
can't handle the phrase "RTFM" probably shouldn't delve too deeply into
computers.

I also do realize that posting in this forum is a privilege and not a right,
so it would be pointless to rant about the evils of censorship.  Freedom of
the press, after, belongs to those who *own* a press.  Frankly, I'm too lazy
to start my own mailing list.  ;)  I won't deny that I've acted childishly
here on occasion, and yesterday's post was (and still is) meant.

I'm not trying to be whiny or arrogant.  I guess I'm just trying to
acknowledge your message in the best way I can.  I don't know, I guess I
just feel at home enough with the PLUG folks that I can be myself.

Bill