Bill Jonas on Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:37:24 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] MSIE for UNIX/other client that can do SPA

> Linux winmodem support: http://linmodems.org/

Been there, done that, subscribed to the mailing list.  :)

> I'm sure MSIE works under VMWare.  http://www.vmware.com.  and the
> FreeMWare project (http://www.FreeMWare.org) appears to be making
> progress.  "VMware is software that runs multiple virtual computers on a
> single PC--at the same time--without partitioning or rebooting. Really."
> -- it's basically an x86 emulator, but not really, it's better.  You can
> run windows / beos / os/2 / dos / etc. in a window in X.  Anything that
> can boot on an x86 machine.  FreeMWare is, as you may have guessed, a
> GPLed alternative in the works.

I've heard of both.  <WhineMode> I'm not currently comfortable with the
level of (in)stability.  And if I get VMWare just to run IE and OE, I might
as well buy a hardware modem.  :)  Besides, my box doesn't have enough
horsepower to run it at an acceptable speed.  :)  </WhineMode>

The good thing, though, would be that it would not affect one's uptime.  :)

It would be the most jaw-dropping thing (for me, anyway) to watch Win98 boot
up from a window on my X desktop.

Bill