Darxus on Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:50:27 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] MSIE for UNIX/other client that can do SPA

Linux winmodem support: http://linmodems.org/

> Does anybody know if either of the MSIE *nix versions would work under
> Linux?  Or has somebody hacked up a mail client (or a patch for one of the

I'm sure MSIE works under VMWare.  http://www.vmware.com.  and the
FreeMWare project (http://www.FreeMWare.org) appears to be making
progress.  "VMware is software that runs multiple virtual computers on a
single PC--at the same time--without partitioning or rebooting. Really."
-- it's basically an x86 emulator, but not really, it's better.  You can
run windows / beos / os/2 / dos / etc. in a window in X.  Anything that
can boot on an x86 machine.  FreeMWare is, as you may have guessed, a
GPLed alternative in the works.

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> It could be for a number of reasons.  First, Microsoft probably doesn't
> view Linux as an enterprise-ready OS and, therefore, doesn't consider it
> worth the time/effort.  Second, it could also be the abject hatred that
> the vocal portion of the Linux community tends express with regards to
> Microsoft.

If they port their stuff to Linux, they acknowledge Linux as a viable
operating system, and therefore a reasonable alternative to windows.
While we all know that it is, it would make no business sense for
microsoft to admit it.

I actually think a Linux port of IE would go over rather well.  Many
people seem to feel that Linux is rather short on browser support.

A couple of you have commented on our official function.  Is it a casual
event to bring intelligent people together to share knowledge, or a
professional event to promote the commercial acceptance of Linux ?

I don't think it matters.  I have never seen an official charter, and I
see no need for one.  We have a bunch of very intelligent and knowledgable
people with a common interest in Linux, so we gather from time to time.
I'm sure all of our interests, and reasons for attending vary slightly,
but I think they're all pretty compatible.  And I think if we do pick one
of these 2 as our official purpose, we would be alienating a bunch of
people who's input has been benificial, either way.

Although, hell, if we start doing 2 meetings a month, maybe we could split
them along these lines.

                      "There is no spoon."