Michael W. Ryan on Sun, 26 Dec 1999 15:19:41 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Fw: [svlug] A bit too much

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Scatter Brained wrote:

> So? This is probably a big support issue for MS. It probably wouldn't be
> the first time a call came into MS Support with "I just fired so-and-so
> for changing to Linux on my server. How do I get rid of it and put NT
> back?"

Thank you for expressing this sentiment.  I felt the same, but I didn't
want people to think it was my "initials talking". :)

> 1. Windows fdisk can't see a Linux partition at all. It shouldn't be too
> difficult to modify the Windows install programs and fdisk to see the
> partitions and (for the install program) to ask if they are to be
> removed.

Actually, it's not that trivial a task.  While the article is geared
towards Win2k, the issue, and fix, apply to NT4, as well.  The fdisk that
needs to be replaced is the fdisk that resides on the existing CDs and
setup floppies.  This isn't exactly something that's fixable with a
service pack.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)