Gregory T. Weber on Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:54:12 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Which scripting language?

Bill Jonas wrote:

> I've got a couple of Barnes & Noble gift certificates to play with, so I
> thought I'd pick up a book about either Perl or Python.  I'd like some
> advice from some of the ultra-ninja-foo hackers out there ;) -- which one
> should I start with?  I realize that Perl is established and used more than
> Python, but I've heard Very Good Things about Python, namely, that it's a
> "cleaner" language, and that more and more people are using it.
>
> As far as the books go, I was thinking O'Reilly.  If I go Perl, should I get
> the camel book or the llama book?  Anybody have any <$40 favorites by
> another publisher?  How about for Python?  TIA for any advice.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> "Look, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 'guaranteed', I
> will.  I got spare time."
>  -Chris Farley, _Tommy Boy_

Can't speak to Python  (on my list of things to learn), but I have found Perl
invaluable as a scripting tool.  I started with Learning Perl (Llama), but soon
found that I needed Programming Perl (Camel) as well.  I almost always buy
O'Reilly books and have yet to be disappointed.

Greg