Darxus on Sun, 2 Jan 2000 20:31:53 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Which scripting language?

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:

> I've got a couple of Barnes & Noble gift certificates to play with, so I
> thought I'd pick up a book about either Perl or Python.  I'd like some
> advice from some of the ultra-ninja-foo hackers out there ;) -- which one
> should I start with?  I realize that Perl is established and used more than
> Python, but I've heard Very Good Things about Python, namely, that it's a
> "cleaner" language, and that more and more people are using it.
>
> As far as the books go, I was thinking O'Reilly.  If I go Perl, should I get
> the camel book or the llama book?  Anybody have any <$40 favorites by
> another publisher?  How about for Python?  TIA for any advice.

I like perl.  My only exposour to python has been Michael W. Ryan's plug
presentation.  I haven't felt compelled to look into it further, although
I consider the competition/variety a good thing.

I own the camel book.  It is good.  It says on the back, "If you buy only
one book about Perl, no one in the Perl community will question your
judgment in buying this one."  I have yet to find someone who disagrees.
It is generally considered the perl bible.

I think I developed the opinion that the Llama book was for people who
hadn't programmed in any language before ?  I'm not currently interested
in owning it.  If I buy another specifically perl book, it'll probably be
the cookbook.  (I'd recommend it as a 2nd book, not 1st)
I'm also interested in their regex book.

Also, don't forget to man perldoc.

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Gregory T. Weber wrote:

> found that I needed Programming Perl (Camel) as well.  I almost always buy
> O'Reilly books and have yet to be disappointed.

I am quite fond of o'reily as well, but was rather disapointed by their
mcse book.  I'm convinced nobody at o'reily actually read it.

                      "There is no spoon."