Michael W. Ryan on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:39:54 -0500 (EST)

Re: apt (was: Re: [Plug] redhat 6.1 insllation)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Mental wrote:

> It will work. It does work.

How?  I'm not questioning whether it works or not.

>  The package1 package2 package3 names have nothing
> do do with the filename. Its the same thing as rpmfind, only better. The problem
> with RH packages has always been managing them. rpm is fine, but before you defend
> it, at least try apt. Package managment under solaris is fine too. I'd probably say
> rpm is a little nicer.

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm required to try apt-get.  RPM works very
well.  The problem with package management comes in when someone decides
that they don't like the arragement of a standard set of packages,
repackages them and then works off of them.

> With apt-get the packages you get are part of the distro. With rpm find, you
> get what you get. I've already blown up gtk+ sever times trying to use rpmfind.
> The person who built the rpms didnt keep the same layout as the person who built
> the original rpm. The prefix was moved from /usr to /usr/X11R6. This may seem trivial,
> but it broke gtk themes. This is the problem with 3rd party updates.

That's a problem with the third parties and the distribution, not the
package management tool.  While Debian has an inclusive philosophy, Red
Hat doesn't.  Personally, I don't think Red Hat could afford to adopt that
philosophy, either.  Care must always be used when going to a third party
package (not paranoia, just care).

> The cool part about debian is the number of packages out there. Setting up a new server?
> apt-get install ssh2 apache apache-ssl
> I did this saturday. It went out and got the incedental packages apache needed for ssl and
> whatnot. All I had to do was answer the config questions and go about my business. It
> was _very_ nice. I used redhat for a long time. It works. But I'll second the assertion
> that debian has a nicer package management system.

It may, but I like Red Hat better as a distribution.  While I haven't
actually used Debian, I have looked into with a possibility of moving over
to it, but I kept running into a "hacker" feel.  Red Hat has more of a
functional feel, to me.  Please don't argue this point with me.  It's a
matter of personal preference and personal perception.  Given that I'm
using an RPM-based system, using apt-get isn't a real viable option.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)