Mental on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:19:41 -0500 (EST)

Re: apt (was: Re: [Plug] redhat 6.1 insllation)

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 04:59:54PM -0500, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Darxus wrote:
>
> > rpm can install remote packages ?  Do you have to find the package first
> > (url), or does rpm find it for you ?  I support a few redhat boxes at
> > work, and finding packages is a pain.  If I'm missing something, I'd love
> > to know.
>
> Yes, you just specify a valid FTP URL for the package name.  No, it
> doesn't automatically find it for you.
>
> >  apt-get install package1 package2 package3
> >
> > And it'll install the latest version of each package you specify.
>
> I don't think this motif would work under the current RPM specification.
> By definition, the filename of a package has *no* significance.  The
> package name, version, and release are all defined within the file (in the
> md5sum'ed part of it, I might add).  Does apt-get rely on a database
> relating file names to actual packages?

It will work. It does work. The package1 package2 package3 names have nothing
do do with the filename. Its the same thing as rpmfind, only better. The problem
with RH packages has always been managing them. rpm is fine, but before you defend
it, at least try apt. Package managment under solaris is fine too. I'd probably say
rpm is a little nicer.

With apt-get the packages you get are part of the distro. With rpm find, you
get what you get. I've already blown up gtk+ sever times trying to use rpmfind.
The person who built the rpms didnt keep the same layout as the person who built
the original rpm. The prefix was moved from /usr to /usr/X11R6. This may seem trivial,
but it broke gtk themes. This is the problem with 3rd party updates.

The cool part about debian is the number of packages out there. Setting up a new server?
apt-get install ssh2 apache apache-ssl
I did this saturday. It went out and got the incedental packages apache needed for ssl and
whatnot. All I had to do was answer the config questions and go about my business. It
was _very_ nice. I used redhat for a long time. It works. But I'll second the assertion
that debian has a nicer package management system.

Mental
--

"you make insanity respectable."
--Helcat on the subject of Mental.