Michael W. Ryan on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:00:12 -0500 (EST)

Re: apt (was: Re: [Plug] redhat 6.1 insllation)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Darxus wrote:

> rpm can install remote packages ?  Do you have to find the package first
> (url), or does rpm find it for you ?  I support a few redhat boxes at
> work, and finding packages is a pain.  If I'm missing something, I'd love
> to know.

Yes, you just specify a valid FTP URL for the package name.  No, it
doesn't automatically find it for you.

>  apt-get install package1 package2 package3
>
> And it'll install the latest version of each package you specify.

I don't think this motif would work under the current RPM specification.
By definition, the filename of a package has *no* significance.  The
package name, version, and release are all defined within the file (in the
md5sum'ed part of it, I might add).  Does apt-get rely on a database
relating file names to actual packages?

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)