Darxus on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 13:47:09 -0500 (EST)

Re: apt (was: Re: [Plug] redhat 6.1 insllation)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Darxus wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.
>
> Remote as in obtain the packages from a remote source (which it does do,
> apparently).

rpm can install remote packages ?  Do you have to find the package first
(url), or does rpm find it for you ?  I support a few redhat boxes at
work, and finding packages is a pain.  If I'm missing something, I'd love
to know.

> > I can telnet into my computer from here, run "apt-get dist-upgrade", it'll
> > download the current versions of all installed packages and everything
> > they depend on, give me a couple configuration prompts, install
> > everything, and restart necessary daemons.
>
> And this is the most commonly cited example.  What if you didn't want to
> do a full distribution upgrade.  What if you only wanted to upgrade some?

Then you do

 apt-get install package1 package2 package3

And it'll install the latest version of each package you specify.
                      "There is no spoon."