Michael C. Toren on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:08:08 -0500 (EST)

Re: apt (was: Re: [Plug] redhat 6.1 insllation)

> > It only needs the control file from each package.  I doubt that any of the
> > control files are larger than 1k; here's an example:
>
> Ah, okay.  The header information is kept in a separate file.

You're half right.  The control file for each package is found within its
deb file.  However, on every Debian mirror, there is a Packages.gz file in
each directory which contains all of the control files concatenated.

-mct