Mental on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:15:01 -0500 (EST)

Re: apt (was: Re: [Plug] redhat 6.1 insllation)

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 06:05:32PM -0500, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Mental wrote:
>
> > Whats the point of this entire thread?
>
> Because Darxus accidentally hit a nerve with his "unless you use debian"
> response, and the discussion quickly degenerated into some people
> explaining to  how apt-get works (thank for the explanation, BTW).

Oh. I wasnt paying attention. I think I'm getting the flu. Its taken out 3
co workers, my roommate and now I think its come for me. Only one thing left to
do. Over medicate and drink heavily. God I hate being sick.

> The "nerve" (and no, it's not worth aplogizing over.  I should apologize
> for responding snippily) is the incredulity that I tend to encounter when
> PLUG members discover that I use Red Hat and am happy with it and that I
> script in Python and have no desire whatsoever to learn Perl.  I feel that
> I am continually expected to defend my choices.  Debian isn't the only
> good distribution out there and Perl isn't the end all and be all of
> scripting languages.

Eh. I've used redhat for a long time. It Doesnt Suck. Slackware was cool too, back
in the day. Now that I have DSL here, it makes sense to use debian. Its neat. I'd
love to see redhat adopt a more net friendly package management system. Other than
that, its served me and several friends quite well. I kind of like Redhats init scripts
and run level differences somewhat more. Other than that.... its all the same.

As for perl vs python.... I plan on learning both. Among others. Why limit yourself? Once
you learn one language, the curve to learning the next one isnt as steep. At least thats
the theory.

Mental
--

"you make insanity respectable."