Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 4 Jan 2000 09:12:36 -0500 (EST)

[Plug] Re: Python and Perl (was: apt)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Mental wrote:

> Eh. I've used redhat for a long time. It Doesnt Suck. Slackware was cool too, back
> in the day. Now that I have DSL here, it makes sense to use debian. Its neat. I'd
> love to see redhat adopt a more net friendly package management system. Other than
> that, its served me and several friends quite well. I kind of like Redhats init scripts
> and run level differences somewhat more. Other than that.... its all the same.

Makes sense.  I've heard that Debian and Red Hat are working together on a
package management system.  Anyone know what is coming of it?

> As for perl vs python.... I plan on learning both. Among others. Why limit yourself? Once
> you learn one language, the curve to learning the next one isnt as steep. At least thats
> the theory.

I generally learn programming languages either because I need to or
because it appeals to me.  I don't need to learn Perl, and it doesn't
appeal to me.

When I spoke at Perl Mongers about Python (it was suprisingly civil :), we
came up with an interesting correlation (the talk was primarily on why
there seems to be a noticable migration of developers from Perl to
Python).  We noticed that Perl tended to be popular with people who have
been working with Unix-likes for a long time and have their programming
roots in Awk and, minorly, Lisp.  "Newer" developers, who tend to be more
grounded in languages like Fortran, Pascal, Basic, C, etc., tends not to
like Perl as much.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)