Darxus on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 23:42:20 -0500 (EST)

Re: apt (was: Re: [Plug] redhat 6.1 insllation)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Michael C. Toren wrote:
>
> > Because the cache of available packages also includes version numbers,
> > it's possible for apt-get to build a list of packages available with newer
> > versions than you currently have installed.  "apt-get update" generates
> > such a list, and fetches the newer versions.
>
> Yes, and how much of the file does it need to download in order to get the
> information?

I think the important answer to this question is "the part that's
downloaded by an apt-get update" -- by the time you do an apt-get
dist-upgrade, your machine already has the info necessary to resolve
dependancies.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Mental wrote:
>
> > Whats the point of this entire thread?
>
> Because Darxus accidentally hit a nerve with his "unless you use debian"
> response, and the discussion quickly degenerated into some people
> explaining to  how apt-get works (thank for the explanation, BTW).
>
> The "nerve" (and no, it's not worth aplogizing over.  I should apologize

I'm not Bill Jonas :)

> for responding snippily) is the incredulity that I tend to encounter when
> PLUG members discover that I use Red Hat and am happy with it and that I
> script in Python and have no desire whatsoever to learn Perl.  I feel that
> I am continually expected to defend my choices.  Debian isn't the only
> good distribution out there and Perl isn't the end all and be all of
> scripting languages.

It is clear that I need to state that although I am very fond of Debian
and Perl, and Linux in general, I realize that what is right for me is not
right for everyone.

You may have noticed in the scripting language thread, my comment on
python was followed by a statement attempting to convey the fact that I
appreciate the available variety.

My comments have been intended mostly to incourage interest in Debian, so
that those who might be willing, would try it for themselves, and develope
their own opinion.  If those opinions end up being different from mine,
based on real experience, good for them.  If you haven't the time,
inclination, or hardware, well, it's your time, effort & hardware.  Won't
affect me much.

There are very good things about both RedHat and Debian, and I'm sure all
other Linux distros, I just wish they'd work together more.  I honestly
believe that if the .DEB & .RPM formats were merged into one standard
linux package format (perhaps also supporting other platforms?), and apt
became standard on multiple distributions, everyone would be happier.

                      "There is no spoon."