Darxus on Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:44:47 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] GeForce vid cards

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Joel A. Matz wrote:

> Why, may I ask, did you not go for the Voodoo?...
> Strauss' servers have been stable for ages, Q3test looked great.

I have been very happy w/ my voodoo 3 3k, until recently.  And the problem
has nothing to do w/ the hardware, the X server, or anything having to do
with 3dfx.  Or even anything related to linux.

The problem is that my current favorite game is DeltaForce2
(http://www.novalogic.com/games/deltaforce2/), which is a really awesome
1st person shooter.  Unlike every other first person shooter that is
totally unrealistic, and which has a primary tactic of "keep running so
they don't come up behind you", it is realistic, your weapons are standard
issue military equipment, and the maps are wide open hilly terrain, with
high grass you can lie down in.  *Huge* maps.  It's multi-player mode
supports up to 50 people per dedicated server, and up to 4 teams, with a
number of different capture the flag type modes built in.

Now why is this a problem you ask ?  Well, it sounds like DeltaForce 1
only supported unaccelerated rendering -- so none of our spiffy 3d
accelerators would have done any good.  That's fine, because it's old and
I don't care to ever play it.  Now this new version still supports
unaccelerated rendering (as I play it here at work), and it suports
rendering with cards that can do 32 bit color via Direct3D.  It does not
suport 16 bit color accelerators.  This is soo totally unacceptable to me.
The voodoo 3 is a 16 bit color card.  It is not supported by DeltaForce2.
I'm actually pissed.  I cannot comprehend how you could support 32bit, and
not be able to easily add support for 16bit. (feel free to enlighten me)

Unfortunately DeltaForce2 is also not ported to Linux.

Before anybody tries to say this is an offtopic post, this thread has been
on the subject of what video cards one may wish to purchase for use under
Linux.  We are all aware that in many cases, this decision will be
affected by windows performance of the videocard, since many of us
multi-boot.  Especially those of us who play games for which 3d
accelerator video cards would be useful.  So I am explaining why, if I
were to purchase a new video card now, it would be the 32 bit color
GeForce, instead of a voodoo.

Unfortunately, I do not feel that accelerating this one game is worth the
$250(?) for a GeForce, at this point, given the fact that I have a voodoo3
3k, which is totally acceptable (and every nice) for everything else.

                      "There is no spoon."