Mental on Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:39:16 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] GeForce vid cards

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 06:03:31PM -0500, Joel A. Matz wrote:
> Why, may I ask, did you not go for the Voodoo?...
> Strauss' servers have been stable for ages, Q3test looked great.

Because if I want to game und linux, I have 2 voodoo2's. Gaming under linux
sucks right now. Gaming under windows on the otherhand, is great. I'm
not particularly happy about it, but its the truth. I got the GeForce
because it blows the 3dfx cards out of the water. And, the Xserver
for the Geforce is fine (in respects to 2d). Further, if I was
primarily concerned with 3d under linux, I still wouldnt have gone for
a 3dfx card. I would have goten a Matrox G400. Its supported very
well and is one of the main cards mesa supports since the hardware
specs are available. Being restricted to 16bit color in 3d type stuff
is... not a good thing.

Quake3 at the highest detail settings, 32bit everything, trilinear filtering,
and stencile buffered shadows is _almost_ playable at 1600x1200. Its
more than playable at 1024x768. The same cannot be said for 3dfx cards.
They're limited to 16bit color.

I know a couple people working on the mesa stuff with G400's. The
hardware t&l is very nice. The X support is decent. Hopefully by
the time XFree4 comes out, Linux 2.4 will be here. There's hooks
in the new kernel for XFree's DRI. Should be nice. And the fonts
will finally be decent :) Yes. XFree4 FINALLY has support for true type
fonts.

And since, somehow I got on a roll about XFree, I figure I might as well
share this URL now. The XFree DeUglification Howto:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU.html

Mental
--

"you make insanity respectable."