Nicolai Rosen on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:34:46 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Which scripting language?

Well if any language could be described as unclean, I guess that'd be perl. It has bits and pieces of most half decent languages out there. It's an excellent language though and I'd highly reccomend it. I seem to remember something obnoxious aobut functions being dependent on indentation or something that I didn't like about Python. Note, I don't know much about Python, so picking perl shouldn't be considered an opinion I feel too strongly about. It's just my general impression that I like it better. I'll stop now as even I with my sleep deprivation addled brain can tell that I'm starting to ramble (more so than usual).

I haven't used Python myself, the little that I know about it comes from the
python FAQ and the following perl vs. python comparison written by Tom
Christiansen : http://www.perl.com/pub/language/versus/python.html

I certainly don't want to start a perl vs. python flame war, but being a perl
fan I would be interested in hearing responses to Christiansen's arguements.....

Bill Jonas wrote:

> I've got a couple of Barnes & Noble gift certificates to play with, so I
> thought I'd pick up a book about either Perl or Python. I'd like some
> advice from some of the ultra-ninja-foo hackers out there ;) -- which one
> should I start with? I realize that Perl is established and used more than
> Python, but I've heard Very Good Things about Python, namely, that it's a
> "cleaner" language,

...and what is meant by "cleaner"?

> and that more and more people are using it.
>
> As far as the books go, I was thinking O'Reilly. If I go Perl, should I get
> the camel book or the llama book?

Camel book