Michael W. Ryan on Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:06:52 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Access

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Gregory T. Weber wrote:

> Of course the farther away
> the slower.

Eh?  We're talking about a single, contiguous cable, right?  How does a
longer distance make it slower?  If this is the case, I'm curious why.

> Thought the whole point was that it would run on existing copper, but oh
> well.

I think it needs a minimum quality of copper.  Some areas have some really
old copper (Phoenixville wouldn't suprise me).

> I need to get a couple of NICs, one for my wife's Windows 98 box and one for my RH
> 6.1 box.  Any suggestions?

I've got a room full of 3COM 3C905BTX cards (10/100 PCI).  I've been very
happy with them so far.  I'm not sure how much they cost, I bought them as
part of the system's they're in (gotta love when the boss says "buy name
brand components").  Make sure that you emphasize the "B", though.  If you
get a "C", you'll get a fully managed NIC, remote bootable and everything.
The only reason I'd say avoid it is that it tended to act flakey on me.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)