Tim Peeler on Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:12:27 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Access (Multiple replies)

On Thu, 06 Jan 2000, Gregory T. Weber wrote:
> Yes, I am in the process of getting DSL, but was told (by Covad) that I needed
> to upgrade my copper so  BA just ran a 6 pair wire up my front lawn (their
> cost ). Thought the whole point was that it would run on existing copper, but
> oh well.

Since I can't get any faster than 37333 through v.90 on my modem, I would
expect that they'd have to run new copper.  If that's the case, it won't happen
cause I wouldn't be able to get my apt manager to allow them to dig up the
place :-P

> I need to get a couple of NICs, one for my wife's Windows 98 box and one for
my RH > 6.1 box.  Any suggestions?

Anything 3com, If you're looking for cheap and easy go with a boomerang.
They're cheap and easy to setup.  If you're looking for quality go with an
EtherLink.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2000, Charles Stack wrote:
> How fast a line are your ordering?

Anything from 114k up, within a reasonable cost.

> If you are going with ADSL...make sure you aren't near any AM transmitters.
> Seems they can degrade the performance of your ADSL line significantly.

I don't know if I'm near an AM transmitter... Perhaps I should check...