Gregory T. Weber on Fri, 7 Jan 2000 08:22:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Access

I live in the Phoenixville area.   Story I got from BA is that they can go out
12,000 feet with ADSL and Covad told me that they could go out 18,000 feet with
DSL.  Voicenet, who is now providing ADSL as well as DSL (if I heard correctly)
confirmed this (12K max  for ADSL and 18K max for DSL).  This could explain why
Covad says they can do it while BA says they can't.    Of course the farther away
the slower.   Interestingly, out of all the folks at my ISP, Covad and BA, the
person who knew the most about DSL (and the politics involved) was the guy digging
up my front lawn.

Yes, I am in the process of getting DSL, but was told (by Covad) that I needed to
upgrade my copper so  BA just ran a 6 pair wire up my front lawn (their cost ).
Thought the whole point was that it would run on existing copper, but oh well.

I need to get a couple of NICs, one for my wife's Windows 98 box and one for my RH
6.1 box.  Any suggestions?

Greg