Darxus on Sun, 9 Jan 2000 20:40:18 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] kernel downloading program

I was bored.
I had to figure out the directory layout of ftp.kernel.org one time to many.
This was the result:  http://www.op.net/~darxus/dlkern

It is, of course, written in Perl, and released under the GPL.  I'd been
wanting to do this for a long time.  Anybody know if I just reinvented a
wheel ?

Usage:  dlkern [-sbp]
        -s  Download stable version of Linux kernel.
        -b  Download beta version of Linux kernel.
        -p  Download prepatch version of Linux kernel.Requested:.

# dlkern v15, created by Darxus@op.net, Jan 9 20:28 EDT.
#
# Queries linux.kernel.org for current Linux kernel versions, via finger,
# and then downloads the requested versions (stable/beta/pre-patch) as specified
# by commandline flags, from ftp.kernel.org using ncftpget.
#
# It is released under the GNU GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html)
#
# This program requires the Net::Finger Perl module which can be obtained from:
# Debian package:  libnet-finger-perl
# RedHat package:  perl-Net-Finger
# Others:  http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Net-Finger\n\n";;
#
# TODO:
# * Use random mirrors.  If current version is not available from mirror, try
#   another mirror until it finds the file.
# * Support for wget (including flags).
# * Make more cron friendly ?

                      "There is no spoon."