Darxus on Tue, 11 Jan 2000 20:57:03 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] dialin server for linux?

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Sean R. Cummins wrote:

> > 1) I think pretty much any version of getty (plain getty, mingetty,
> > agetty), although I'm not familiar w/ them all, I think they should all
> > have a -l option to let you change the login program.
>
> I tried to use agetty, but that was core dumping, so now I'm back to
> getty.  It appears that my version of getty (RH6.0) does not have the -l
> option, but it does allow you to replace the default /bin/login with
> whatever command you want to enter (LOGIN=whatever in /etc/conf.getty).
> BUT, getty is the program that is prompting for the username, not
> /bin/login.  So, what I've done so far is:

The version of getty I have has a -n to skip the login prompt.

> that way, the end user (a vending machine, in case you were wondering),

Neat.

> So all of this seems like it will work in theory, the only problem I'm
> having now is getting the modems to properly talk to each other.. which
> has been pretty difficult because I don't have the specs on the modems in
> the vending machines.  And when I try replacing the init string on the
> modem in the Linux terminal server, by adding an INIT=ATblahblah command
> to /etc/conf.getty, getty continuously respawns all by itself.  I'm
> guessing its just crashing or something..

You may also want to try mgetty, I've been playing w/ it since my last
post.  I originally didn't want to play w/ it because you had to set the
login program in a seperate config file.  But it looks like that may
actually be good.

The suggested /etc/inittab line is:

T1:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS1

(I'd skip that -x0 for now, it turns off debugging)

And the default last line in /etc/mgetty/login.config is:

*      -       -       /bin/login @

Try replacing it with:

*       nobody  telnet  /usr/bin/telnet -8 host

I think this may just do what you want.  Execute telnet as user nobody
(instead of root) to host.  I noticed the -8 in the login.config examples,
and noticed that it attempts to do an 8 bit clean telnet, which would be
useful if you were trying to do a zmodem transfer through it or something.

But be careful, be sure your console logins aren't using mgetty, or *all*
your login prompts will be replaced with telnets to the remote host!  (I
think).

I tried doing this on one of my virtual terminals, but it seemed to really
want to talk to a modem.  I noticed that mgetty seemed much more aimed at
modems than getty.  Maybe it'll work.
                      "There is no spoon."