vkenny on Thu, 13 Jan 2000 00:30:47 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] hxclock

long story short, when resetting your date, do it in the CLI
details:

Ok, just a warning..
if your clock is significantly out of sync, b/t system and hardware, and
you use date to update the system clock, you must use either clock or
hwclock to set the hardware clock..  (hwclock does not mean hardware
clock, btw)..
in X, I used
date xxxxxxxx
then
hwclock --systohw
(use 'sys'tem date 'to' set 'h'ard'w'are date instead of set 'sys'tem
date 'to'  'h'ard'w'are date ...read man hwclock to understand fully
......sometimes even *NIX makes no sense..anyway..)
and ran date to be sure it took...
and X hosed..hard..
tried startx, and got xinit:error
did a
ps wwwaux | grep x
and nothing..
tried startx again..still nothing..
did a date to see where my date stood, and the time had set back to the
previous hardware clock settings!
did a
date xxxxxxxx
hwclock --systohw
and all was well, but still no X..I finally had to reboot to get things
going again..
Just a little midnight adventure..
Peace,
Vale