Bill Jonas on Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:12:21 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Where should I put this module?

I got my winmodem working in Linux.  (Gasp! ;)  The modem has a PCTel
chipset, and they announced support late last year (August?) for software
modems in Linux.  (Side note, for those interested:  No source, binary only,
but it is "make"-able to include correct kernel version header info.  They
supply pre-made binaries for Red Hat and Caldera (I think), but it works on
my Slackware 7 system after make-ing it.)

Question is this:  Where should I put the module (pctel.o)?  In the
/lib/modules tree somewhere?  In /etc?  And which script should I load it
from?  /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, /etc/rc.d/rc.3 (rc.x), or another one?  I'm
leaning toward putting pctel.o in /etc and loading it from rc.modules.
Anybody see any problem with this?

And before anything's said, I know this is eating up CPU cycles.  This is
just a *temporary* fix.  If anybody wants to take a look at the package,
mail me and I'll send you the package I got.

Bill

--
"Because they know that all they sold you was a guaranteed POS!  Look, if
you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 'guaranteed', I will.  I got