Aarune J. Oracle on Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:30:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] HOMM III for Linux

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

:
:It'll take more than just games.  Linux needs to evolve in terms of
:usability and application base.  As a point of comparison: my first
:Windows NT install was much more successful and less anxious than my
:first Linux install (I'll admit that it was Slackware, but I did have
:good instructions).

I will agree my first Linux install was less then desired.  It took me a
month before I could dial out to the internet and yet another month before
I got X running.  But it installed (after I fixed the partitions so I
didnt run out of space)  My first NT install was like installing Win95,
mind numbingly easy.  But at this point, I have seen people install Linux
on a machine that have never even heard of Unix/Linux untill a month
before.  They had standard hardware and had no problems.  And it is only
getting easier.

But as ease of install and a nicer GUI improves, I see on the games and
applications front alot improving.  There is already a ton of applications
out there, some better then others, but more and more mainstream
manufacturers are movin the products over.  Right now there is only 2
things I cannot do under linux, and I am not all that knowledgable of the
OS.   One is view the exported directories on an exchange server, and
another is play my favorite games.  Once I can do those two things, I will
never have to use windows again.

And I will be quite happy for it :)

-Rune

:
:But, it will help.
:
:Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
:mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
:http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/
:
:PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
:PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)
:
:
:Philadelphia Linux Users Group       -       http://plug.nothinbut.net