Andrew White on Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:01:03 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Bellatlantic ADSL

Hi Joel and others,

At least here in the Philadelphia LATA, Bell has changed their InfoSpeed
product to require "PPP over Ethernet" (PPPoE) support on the client.  For
Windows users, this means you have to install a patch that allows Dial-Up
Networking to see your ethernet adapter as a device to be used for
outbound DUN connections.  As far as I know, there is no PPPoE driver for
Redhat.

Your choice is to use Windows or to choose an ISP other than
BellAtlantic.net.  My employer (DCANet) supports InfoSpeed with static IP
addresses (up to 6 per customer) and no PPPoE requirement.  I think op.net
also participates in the InfoSpeed program locally.

-Andrew White
 andrew@white.com