Hugh Brock on Sun, 6 Feb 2000 09:29:42 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Modem Followup Question

John Lavin writes:

 > I booted into Linux, changed /dev/modem to Com3 and tried KPPP.  No go.
 > Got a "Not Responding" error from KPPP Query.

Hi John!

When you say "COM3" I assume you mean /dev/ttyS3? (Note the capital
"S"...)

Really the next thing to do is get a very strong cup of coffee and sit
down for a morning with the Serial How-To. It's a little thick, but
it's the only good way to really understand what's going on with Linux
and serial ports.

You'll see when you read it that any number of things could be
happening: The modem could be not set at all under Linux, it could be
set but Linux's serial autoconfig might not be finding it, you could
just be grabbing the wrong port, you could be accessing the port as a
regular user rather than root (or you could have neglected to chmod
666 the port so that you can access it as a regular user)... the list
goes on and on.

While you're reading how-tos, take a look at the PnP how-to. It might
be necessary. Hopefully not <g>.

Good luck,
--Hugh