John Lavin on Sat, 5 Feb 2000 22:48:49 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Modem Followup Question

Hello All,

This is a follow up to my question about attempting to get my ISA PnP US
Robotics 56K modem working under Linux from last week's meeting.

As suggested, I disabled PnP, and booted into windows to see how it
would sort things out.  Turns out it wouldn't sort things out.  It came
up with a hardware conflict which I kinda figured it would.  I
interpreted it as meaning that PnP somehow found the conflict and
shuffled the modem to an address not conflicting.  Well, the first thing
I thought might be in conflict was my other PnP device - my SoundBlaster
AWE.  I yanked the card out and booted back into windows.  Windows no
longer had any problems recognizing my modem.

Now that I had my modem back, I went to look at the settings for the
modem and take them down for when I rebooted into Linux(RH 6.0).  IRQ 5,
03E8 03EF  COM3.

I booted into Linux, changed /dev/modem to Com3 and tried KPPP.  No go.
Got a "Not Responding" error from KPPP Query.

What is the next step in sorting this out?  I haven't done a thing with
the IRQ or the memory address yet and I *still* believe that this is
definitely *not* a winModem.  I haven't attempted the other suggestion
yet to install insPnP (is that right?), but I heard that it can get a
little complex and I was hoping to avoid it if possible.

John Lavin
jlavin1@voicenet.com