Kevin Falcone on Fri, 11 Feb 2000 02:27:35 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] ESR at Penn

  BJ> On 10 Feb 2000, Kevin Falcone wrote:
  >> The message was grabbed up and re-posted to plug-announce by someone,
  >> and that made it appear a second time.

  BJ> Cast blame over here.  Though it wasn't strictly Plug-related, I
  BJ> posted it to the Plug-Announce list for the same reasons (I
  BJ> presume) that you posted it here.

That makes sense. I had forgotten about the announce list, or I would
have used it in the first place.

  BJ> I went there for the first talk, and I thought it was quite
  BJ> good.  (I've never heard him speak before.)  I would've gone on
  BJ> to the second talk, but I needed to get a little more rest
  BJ> before work this evening.  How was the second one?

Well, I am half a Wharton weenie and half an engineer, so I thought
it was interesting.  As I said, he spoke about several business models
supported by Open Source software, and then he gave the advocacy pitch.
(ie how to be an effective open source advocate and not totally
alienate your managers by thinking of them as idiots)  He spoke for
nearly 4 hours, which is impressive in and of itself.

As an aside, pictures of the event are available here
<http://dp.seas.upenn.edu/pictures.html>

Be warned, that is a *big* page (lots of thumbnails).  I am in the
extremely dark pictures at the top of the page which depict us trying
to transport Eric from 30th street station to the Towne building in
record time.

-kevin

--
Kevin Falcone <kevinfal@seas.upenn.edu>
"Things can happen to browsers in magical libraries that can make having