Darxus on Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:00:29 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] jobs at Ars Digita

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:

> I've got no problem with it myself.  One other LUG list I'm on has
> apparently had problems in the past with headhunters spamming the list

Yeah.. I hate those... even just looking through newspapers or trying to
find something in newsgroups (stuff I haven't done in... quite some time).
No actual jobs to offer, just trying to get people on their lists incase
something comes up so they can take a cut....

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Jim Sulfare wrote:

> Why don't we create a link off the Home page that would allow for employment
> posting??
> And open it to all..

Fine w/ me.

How 'bout I put up a page of links to pages about job openings ?  Like, I
could add a link from the main page that says "Linux related job openings
in the Philly area", then on that page, put a link to a page about it on
Ars Digita's site ?  Hugh ?

> This would give companies the opportunity to get to us and at the same time it
> will allow us to get to them if we are looking to do so..

Linux users groups are an excellent way to network for jobs.  It is
actually how I got my current job.  Which is why I want to put up
everybody's resume on the plug page, but I've only gotten links from 5
people.  And there was even somebody in plug willing to host people's
resumes if necessary.

> This is not pain but change!! and change is good.. It will open not only Linux
> job opportunities for us to make $$$$$$$$$ but to help everybody be the best at
> what they do!! And be the first site as a Linux job site.

First linux job site ?  Yeah right.  Being unique on the web isn't quite
that easy... google.com search for linux jobs:

jobs.linuxtoday.com
www.linux.org.au/jobs/
linux.superexpert.com/jobs/
www.unix-developers.net/linux.html

..those were on the 1st page of hits.

But yeah, it's a good idea.

> Lets open up to the community not slam the door on them...
>
> Did I mention the ability to make PLUG money by having a finders fee??

And who here wants to deal with the mess of handling the money ?  We'd
probably have to incorporate or something.  Ugh.

Overall I agree with you.