Stephen E. Fritz on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:03:07 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (WIN2K problems)

I've seen several problems with Windows 2000 Server:

1)  Upgrading a production Windows NT 4.0 server to Windows 2000 and running
a Sybase data base.  The server lastde less than eight hours before it could
no longer be rebooted.  Solution:  call back the last tapes.

2)  Active Directory objects  -- such as servers -- mysteriously dropping
out of the directory.

3)  Inability to partition the Active Directory data base.  This is an
inherent flaw in directory implementation because the entire tree must be
replicated to each server maintaining directory information.  It's an all or
nothing proposition.  So, if you want a server on a WAN link to limited
directory services such as authentication, you have to replicate the entire
database across the WAN.

4)  Lack of Active Directory compatibility with other NOS's.  Try to
integrate Linux, Unix flavors or NetWare into an Active Directory database.
This makes enterprise solutions less flexible.

Solution -- Novell NDS with support for Windows NT 4.0, Unix flavors and
Linux.