Michael C. Toren on Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:39:06 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Bell's ADSL, using pppoe

> While I can't comment on BA's ADSL service, I chose to let my ISP do the
> legwork. I have SDSL via NorthPoint to my local ISP, and excepting some
> witless games on billing from my ISP, the entire process was painless. I
> have a single static address on the DSL side of a Netopia NAT router, with
> a local private net.  Everything works perfectly.  Highly recommended over
> the pppoe nonsense.

Just as an FYI, I think we'll start to see more and more ISP's start to
require PPPoE, even if they're giving out static, non-RFC1928 address
space.  On the ISP side, the RedBack's have had support this for some
time now.  I don't believe Cisco does yet, but they might in the latest
12.0 service-provider image.

As far as Linux and PPPoE, I know there's a Debian package that supports
it, but I haven't used it.

	[mct@rivendell:(73) ~]$ apt-cache show pppoe
	Package: pppoe
	Version: 1.0-1
	 PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) is a protocol used by
	 many ADSL Internet service providers. This package allows
	 you to connect to those PPPoE service providers.
	installed-size: 41
	source: rp-pppoe

-mct