Charles Stack on Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:52:39 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] Corel will be partly owned by MS after Inprise merger...

This was discussed at great length at the Borland Developer's Conference
this past summer.

Microsoft's piece of the pie is a direct result of a settle lawsuit.  Yes,
the contributed $100M for a non-voting piece of Inprise.  Essentially, it
gave Inprise/Borland access to cash and new technologies put out by MS in
exchange for Borland dropping its lawsuits against regarding its raiding
tactics (they stole Anders from Borland as well as part of the original
Delphi team (ever wonder why VB LOOKS SO LIKE DELPHI???)).  And, by keeping
Inprise viable as competetion, it strengthened their position in the
anti-trust case.  It does not mean the MS has any power over Inprise/Borland
nor over Corel.

What I find ironic is that Borland has committed so much effort to moving
their tools to Linux.  MS must be pissed knowing that their money is now
being used against them.

cjs