Bill Jonas on Wed, 8 Mar 2000 04:24:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: Virtual services and IP aliasing (was Re: [PLUG] socf: questions)

CIA reports from Mar 8 indicate Darxus may or may not have said:

>Yes, pico is in the pine .deb package, which I think is not in the Debian
>archive due to odd licensing.

It is in non-free, which I am not sure whether or not is distributed
with CD-ROMs and such.

The license page is at
http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/legal.html.  The points most
relevant (that I see) to it being in non-free:  a.) You can't "sell" the
program as you can with GNU software; you can distribute it
free-of-charge, or at cost is you're a non-profit org, or in a CD
collection of redistributable software; b.) They explicitly state that
you can redistribute "individual patches", but they don't say anything
about modified versions of the whole program.  I suppose one must assume
that this is not permitted.

So you're welcome to hack it up locally all you want, and to
distribute bug-fix patches, but it isn't fully free in the GNU
sense (which is the meaning that Debian uses, I assume).  So it's
semi-free, which for strict definitions of "free", means that it's not
free (which is the tack that Debian takes, no?).  Is that the basic
idea?

>Pico also happens to be the editor I use the most, as I have not yet taken
>the time to climb up the learning curve of vi or emacs.  I'm functional in
>vi, but haven't touched emacs.

vi confuses me, although I know some of the basic stuff.  One thing I
love about emacs (I've just started learning it) is the fact that you
don't have to move your hands from the home row to move the
cursor.  (Yes, you can do this vi, too, but you have to reach all the
way up the Esc key.  I'll grant you, though, that with emacs you have to
keep two buttons down to move the cursor.)

>in ~/.lynxrc :
<snip>
>Yes, without it, it's madening.

It's fun to be LARTed.  :)

># grep -i vga /etc/lilo.conf
<snipsnipsnip>
>(I know your pain)

At least someone is confirming I'm not whacko... unless we both are.  :)

I'm still only using the standard 6 VCs... haven't had a need for more
yet, but I suspect at some point I will.  The most I've used at once was
5 the other day (although I believe I might've used all 6, but I can't
remember a specific incident).

BTW, what happened to VCs 10 and 11?

Bill
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought.
But World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- A. E.