Darxus on Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:41:23 -0500 (EST)

Re: Virtual services and IP aliasing (was Re: [PLUG] socf: questions)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Darxus wrote:

> # grep tty /etc/init.d/local /etc/syslog.conf
> /etc/init.d/local:/bin/su - gimps -c "/home/gimps/mprime -d -w/mnt/c/gimps" > /dev/tty11 2>&1 &
> /etc/syslog.conf:# send everything to /dev/tty12
> /etc/syslog.conf:*.* /dev/tty12

In other words...

tty11:
There's a line in my /etc/init.d/local script, which runs on startup, that
executes the Great Internet Mersenne Primes Search (GIMPS -
http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm) client, and redirects its output to
/dev/tty11 (which is chowned to user "gimps", which is also used to
execute the client).

tty12:
There is a line in my /etc/syslog.conf file that contains "*.*
/dev/tty12".  This is a wonderful thing.  It makes *everything* that goes
through syslogd get written to /dev/tty12.  So it's a lot easer to monitor
your system.

Oh.. wait... you said 10 & 11, not 11 & 12.

Well,
tty10:
In my /etc/ppp/ip-up script, which executes whenever a ppp connection is
brought up, there is a line that executes /home/darxus/.ip-up (su'd to
user "darxus") which executes some scripts that start up ssh on /dev/tty10
causing it to connect to my ISPs shell account and start pine.  It's
really sweet. Unfortunately my ISP (op.net) began to suck horribly since
it was purchased by netreach.net, and they NOLONGER ALLOW OUTGOING SSH
CONNECTIONS.  Totally incomprehensible.  So it sits there doing nothing
(well, trying to establish the ssh connection & failing) until I get
around to switching to dca.net, which I'll probably put off till I buy the
house I'm currently renting from my step-grandmother
(http://www.op.net/~darxus/house.html), at which point I expect to get a
DSL feed from them.  Because of op.net's current sucking, I also can't get
into my machine to get these scripts to post from here.