Greg Lopp on Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:45:05 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] NIC's and Other things.

DrexelDG@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
>     I have a linux box running RH 6.1, and two NIC cards in there.  I am
> going to use it as a firewall/IP packet fowarder for my home LAN.  The two
> NIC cards did not work under windows, something about a hardware conflict,
> and that it was not responding.  I figured they would work under RH, BUT when
> I try to load the machine up, it freezes after it brings up Eth1 and Eth0.

You will have to resolve the HW conflict before they will work under any OS.
Are the NICs ISA w/ jumpers, ISA plug&pray or PCI?  If jumpers, you are in good
shape: read the docs for the cards and jumper one card to a different
address/IRQ than the other.  If ISAPNP, get a copy of the isapnptools package,
read and fix.  If PCI, then all conflicts between PCI devices should have been
resolved by your PCI-aware BIOS. In this case a PCI device might be conflicting
w/ an ISA device.....see if your BIOS lets you reserve IRQs for ISA or use case
one or two to move the ISA device out of the way.

> I figured further that these two cards are DEAD,

If you take out one of the cards, can you get the other one to work alone?