Kyle Burton on Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:39:05 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] NIC's and Other things.

>     I have a linux box running RH 6.1, and two NIC cards in there.  I am
> going to use it as a firewall/IP packet fowarder for my home LAN.  The two
> NIC cards did not work under windows, something about a hardware conflict,
> and that it was not responding.  I figured they would work under RH, BUT when
> I try to load the machine up, it freezes after it brings up Eth1 and Eth0.  I
> figured further that these two cards are DEAD, but I am wondering if anyone
> has any knowledge along these lines and prehaps can tell me something I don't
> know?
>
> On a related note... I have two rather small IDE hard drives in the same box.
>  They are not big enough to do a full RH install by them selves.  One is 1.2
> Gigs and the other is just about a Gig.  I got it to see that one was the
> master and the other was the slave, but when I go to the install it still
> says that there is not enough room for a full install.  Again if anyone can
> help me here I would be most grateful, cause it would save me from going out
> a getting another HD.  :)

One thing to keep in mind with a 'full' install with redhat is that you'll
end up with 100mb+ of documentation in other languages (like french, etc)
and some of the docs (HOWTOs I think) in alternate formats (like sgml, or
html or something) that are usualy just wasted space.  Do a custom install,
and when you choose the partitioning, you can use the main drive as the
root of the file system, /boot, and /usr -- and use the other drive as /home
or take some other approach utilizing both drives.  RedHat should be able to
fit into 1.2GB easily (also consdier putting your swap on the other drive).

I'm not sure about the NIC's though -- do you have a util's disk (usualy
you'll need a dos boot disk, and the diagnostic/util disk for the cards)?
Try using the util disk to set the irq/dma so you're sure they don't conflict.

let us know how it goes...

If God didn't mean for us to juggle, tennis balls wouldn't come three to a
can.
    -- Unknown (http://slashdot.org)