Bill Jonas on Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:47:46 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] socf: questions

CIA reports from Mar 5 indicate Bill Jonas may or may not have said:

>some distributions use /etc/hostname and others (such as my distribution
>of choice, Slackware) use /etc/HOSTNAME.  If you change that, you might

One note: If your machine starts up sendmail by default at boot time
(which to my knowledge is standard behavior), you'll want to put in the
FQDN (fully qualified domain name), rather than just a machine name.
Example: put in "machinename.example.net" rather than just
"machinename".  If you use the latter rather than the former, sendmail
will hang for a couple of minutes at boot time.  There's no problem with
the former.

Bill
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought.
But World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- A. E.