Bill Jonas on Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:18:46 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] socf: questions

CIA reports from Mar 5 indicate Gregory T. Weber may or may not have said:

>Many folks I know use pico as a simple text based editor.  Came with my
>Redhat 6.1.

It's actually Pine's own editor, if I'm not mistaken.  For simplicity to
get you up and running, it's great.  You can start editing your
configuration files and be up and running in no time.  There is quite a
steep learning curve (although it's well worth it) for vi or emacs.  The
great thing about either of the latter is that you don't have to move
your hands from the home row in order to move the cursor.

As for the question about the hostname, I think I saw somewhere that
some distributions use /etc/hostname and others (such as my distribution
of choice, Slackware) use /etc/HOSTNAME.  If you change that, you might
also want to look at /etc/hosts, as there's some stuff to change in
there as well (at least on my system).

BTW, everybody, if I'm setting up a development environment on my box
and using one of the RFC-compliant private IPs (10.x.x.x or equivalent),
would I put this in /etc/hosts, or somewhere else?  Does the Virtual
Services HOWTO cover this?

One of the things that I am disliking more and more about Lynx is the
inability to view the URL of the page I am currently on.  Is there any
way to show the URL of the current page or where a given link points to?

Bill
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought.
But World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- A. E.