Steven Davila on Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:04:30 -0500 (EST)

Suse (was formerly: RE: [PLUG] socf: questions)

(This is not intending to start a holy war)

SuSE is tight.  I dig it.

Some good things:
They are a major force behind all the Xfree development (I think one of
their Vp's heads Xfree development), and as a result, all the new X servers
are always out for SuSE as prepackaged RPM's that are pretty much guaranteed
to work.

Their support DB (both the local install and the one on www.suse.com) are
nice and well organized.

Their (on the www site) updates area lists all the packages that have
updates and the recommended urgency with which you should apply them.

Yast is a nice solid program, any changes made will require a manual restart
of the services attached to it (SMB, net, etc.) but I'd rather do it on my
own time.

YAST is also great for FTP installations as you can add and remove base
install packages with amazing ease.  (It also has an update feature, but I
preffer doing it package by package).

The even have out RPM's of many Oracle versions pre-configured for different
suse installations.  I only mention this because I heard setting up oracle
on redhat requires three bottles of hard alcohol and a sacrificial chicken.
(DISCLAIMER: I heard that, so I might be talking out of my ass.)

On the other hand...

I do want to get the new debian when it comes out and give it a test
drive... And I need to reacquaint myself with RedHat if I want to start
doing it professionally (which I do).

					-Steve

(99% lurk)
(This is Outlook under VMWare/Win98se)