Michael W. Ryan on Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:24:25 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] XFree 4.0 - multiheading

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Darxus wrote:

> In the last few months I think at least two people have asked if there was
> any way to add an extra monitor and keyboard directly to a linux box on
> the PLUG list.

You need to look at what they're trying to achieve, beyond just "I want to
attach a second keyboard, mouse and monitor."

> It sounds like it's been possible to add an extra monitor for a little
> while (as opposed to, I think, since the begining of time, on a sun box),
> and now you can add extra mice (http://www.xfree86.org/4.0/RELNOTES2.html,
> search for "mouse 2").

I don't think this is quite what you're looking for.  This allows you to
extend your desktop to function on two physical monitors (which, don't get
me wrong, is a cool thing in and of itself).  What, I think, you're trying
to acheive is either a number of dumb terminals or thin clients connected
to the same server.

> Beyond this just being a really neat idea, I can see it helping Linux
> compete with Microsoft.  Here at work, I'm sitting at cluster of 3 desks.
> If you could attach 3 monitors, keyboards, and mice to one machine that
> cost half as much as the 3 of ours put together, it would be... neat.

Once again, what effect are you trying to acheive?  Remember, putting
three times the work on one third of the CPU and RAM isn't necessarily an
improvement. :)

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)