Greg Lopp on Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:32:03 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] RedHat Linux 6.1 ISP connection

Sijian Zhou wrote:

> Actually I do have /dev/modem. Originally,
> /dev/modem->/dev/ttyS0. I changed it to point to
> either /dev/ttyS2 or /dev/ttyS3 according to my modem
> dip setting. Even /dev/modem sitting correctly(I
> think), KDE still point to wrong device:
> COM3 -> /dev/ttyS3
> COM4 -> /dev/ttyS2

> Can I use minicom to dial up ISP?
>
> SJ

You can.  All that you need minicom or chat (a similar program that comes
with in the pppd.rpm) to do is configure the modem, dial the ISP and
login.  Once that is done, pppd takes over to manage the connection.

When I was first trying to connect with RedHat 5.1, the biggest problem
was finding the right combination of pppd parameters to use.  I ended up
using the netcfg package that RedHat installs.  It saved me from many
hours of further grief.  Just say that you want to add an interface, tell
it the phone # and device file, some minor changes to the chat script,
click activate and I was off. Then you capture the parameters it uses and
write your own script......less sweat, all of the freedom.