Darxus on Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:25:56 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Totally Hosed my system!!!!!!

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Quincy wrote:

> Don't know how I did it but my system wont boot!!  Here is what I was
> doing before this occurred....
> I was logged on a root (of course) and was trying to use GUI/bru to back
> up my XFree86 files so that i could upgrade Xfree86.  I created a new
> device under the config utility (/dev/hdb)and started the back up.  It
> looked like it was going to take forever so i canceled the back up.
> Later i noticed that when I went to the root folder in KDE it said
> "empty folder" (not good).  So I new I was screwed.  So I figured what
> the hell why not reboot I am already screwed (probably not a good
> idea).  When I re-boot I get the message "KERNEL PANIC: VFS: Unable to
> mount root fs on 03:41"
> Am I totally screwed and should i just re-install or can the dumb
> actually be lucky and is there a way out?  Also what the hell
> happened?!?!?!?!?

Boot off of a rescue disk.  The first boot floppy in a linux distribution
install set is usually also a rescue disk.  Install CDs may work as well.
Images of rescue disks can be downloaded from any linux distribution site,
and written to floppys with the rawrite.exe program.

Once you've booted off of the rescue disk, run fdisk.  You'll get a prompt
like:  "Command (m for help):".  Hit "p" (print the partition table).

partition table.  Hopefully you'll get something like:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 782 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       712   2870752+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2           713       782    282240    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           713       745    133024+  82  Linux swap

Command (m for help): m

Look at the last column.  You should have one that says "Linux".  Now look
first column on that same line.  In this example, it says "/dev/hda1".
I'll assume you've got a partition type "Linux" on device "/dev/hda1", but
your device may very well be different.  Hit "q" (quit without saving
changes).

Now you're going to try to mount this device.  You need a mount point,
which is just an empty directory.  Very often "/mnt" exists as an empty
directory or rescue disks for just this purpose.  "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt"
should work.  If you don't get an error, "cd /mnt" and look around -- see
if it contains the files you'd expect to find in "/" on your machine.  If
it does, there is very real hope.  If not, you're probably screwed.

If your files do still exist, the next thing I'd try is verifying that
your /etc/lilo.conf (which would be mounted as /mnt/etc/lilo.conf) was
correct, and try re-running it.  You'll need to run lilo as "lilo -r
/mnt", to tell it where the filesystem it's config file is mounted on is.

Sucks when that happens.... especially when in the process of attempting
backups.
                           Chaos reigns.