Greg Lopp on Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:48:42 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] RedHat Linux 6.1 ISP connection

"M. Simons" wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Sijian Zhou wrote:
> > I have a system with Curix M II-300 CPU, Best Data's
> > Smart One 2834 Family Modem. I installed RedHat Linux
> > 6.1 and try to connect ISP www.access1.net. Here is my
> > problem:
>
> I know you said you tried to use another modem, but...
>
> I havent seen anybody suggest yet, the possibility that this (and maybe
> your others) are winmodems (software/cpu based), and not hardware based
> modems...
>
> the following page will explain a bit:
> http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
>
> and this is the entire knowledge base table, so far:
> http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/20000316a.html
>
> I didn't see your specific modem listed, but I did notice that the
> company/brand name porducts that ARE listed similar to yours, are about
> 50/50 -- that is, half of them are winmodems, and half of them are
> hardware modems, so that means you have a better chance than most as far
> as this goes.

This possibility occured to me after I had written and sent detailed
instructions to him wednesday night.  Like you, I could not find his exact
model in the table.....but he (Sijian) has mentioned that he controls the
serial port setting of the modem with dips.  A softmodem/winmodem would
certainly not be dip controled or even have a concept of a serial port.

I am starting to wonder about the init string he is using.  Perhaps that
could account for the modem's strange behavior.  His first post sounds like
the modem isn't responding to AT commands.