M. Simons on Fri, 17 Mar 2000 02:45:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] RedHat Linux 6.1 ISP connection

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Sijian Zhou wrote:
> I have a system with Curix M II-300 CPU, Best Data's
> Smart One 2834 Family Modem. I installed RedHat Linux
> 6.1 and try to connect ISP www.access1.net. Here is my
> problem:

I know you said you tried to use another modem, but...

I havent seen anybody suggest yet, the possibility that this (and maybe
your others) are winmodems (software/cpu based), and not hardware based
modems...

the following page will explain a bit:
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

and this is the entire knowledge base table, so far:
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/20000316a.html

I didn't see your specific modem listed, but I did notice that the
company/brand name porducts that ARE listed similar to yours, are about
50/50 -- that is, half of them are winmodems, and half of them are
hardware modems, so that means you have a better chance than most as far
as this goes.

However, since your system was built with a cyrix chip, I would assume
that they also decided to cut costs with the modem also... 8(

Aiiigh... I have a winmodem too, so I must resort to using sludge OS for
dialup at this moment. 8(